Experience is everything when it comes to event planning. Gaining more event experience is the best thing you can do to become a more successful and confident event professional.
This video is brought to you by EventMB, the number 1 blog for event professionals.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get instant updates.
***************** ABOUT EVENT MANAGER BLOG
Check out EventMB for trends, technology, innovation and education tips for the event industry and boost your career: http://www.eventmanagerblog.com/
Subscribe to our daily newsletters: http://eventmanagerblog.us11.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=c480f324793364ec1d982cad3&id=c297bc4951
***************** OTHER HELPFUL VIDEOS
5 Signs Event Planning Is Not For You: https://youtu.be/X1s_QSIkOus The 5 Things People Always Ask Event Planners: https://youtu.be/Kd3bwx7F7e8 6 Secret Reasons Why People Really Attend Events: https://youtu.be/rF1_utvjuUg The Secret Formula to Event Swag: https://youtu.be/E3UPudv85mE How to Start an Event Planning Company from Home: https://youtu.be/Jy7elqmU_AE Event Planning - the Worst and Best Job in the World: https://youtu.be/xRz7Rj6kPJU How to Drive More Attendees to Exhibitor Booths: https://youtu.be/SlVdSHiRXSg 5 Trends In Event Mobile Apps: https://youtu.be/p-UE_KXkoTE Get More Sponsors for Your Events: https://youtu.be/LBKry741SVg The 5 Hottest Trends in Corporate Events: https://youtu.be/kaJdGpe0CMk 5 Event Tech Trends To Watch in 2017: https://youtu.be/yMIBhv9nkdw The Three T’s of Being A Successful Event Planner: https://youtu.be/2pd43KAMR_Y 5 Times Event Tech Saved My Event: https://youtu.be/Nznt_5Ys8EM How Event Planners Stretch their Dollars: https://youtu.be/7OQrcf8yfZA 4 Marketing Mistakes Event Planners Make: https://youtu.be/5jedU07Olqw The 6 Skills of Successful Event Planners: https://youtu.be/ZbDNT5sZXuQ
***************** GET SOCIAL Twitter: https://twitter.com/eventmb LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/event-manager-blog Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EventManagerBlog Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/emblog/ Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Eventmanagerblog/posts Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/readeventmb/
Becoming an event planner requires a lot of things: a penchant for organization, a flexible schedule, and above all else, experience.
Jumping into the deep end as an eventprof without the experience and training that you need can be disastrous for your events, your clients and your reputation.
Before you go at it alone, focus on these 5 Ways to Gain Event Planning Experience.
1. Internships Internships may be one of the best ways to gain event planning experience. Your job is often to support someone who is ultimately responsible for planning the event - so you get the wealth of experience and knowledge while not having to maintain the responsibility of being the one managing everything.
2. Take Any Job In an industry built by so many sub-industries, you have the opportunity to put your hand in as many different possible roles that support event planning as you can.
Be an assistant for Conference & Events Services, manage event parking, work in catering, and take any other relevant opportunities. This gives you the chance to learn what it is you love to do and are best suited to.
3. Non-Profits As any good non-profit event planner would tell you, a majority of the work is done by volunteers. You can choose which organizations you want to volunteer with, by figuring out which ones you already support, or the ones that host really cool events that you want to be a part of. Most non-profits can offer plenty of experience in many different types of events.
4. Industry Associations The event industry overflows with Associations that are looking to host monthly meetups and events. As is almost every other industry that is out there.
That means that not only are you able to plan events that other event planners are invested in, it gives you the opportunity to plan events for organizations that you may be finding your next client at.
Join a committee or your local event industry association board and take the opportunity to plan events that you may not have been able to plan before.
5. Contract Work Nothing beats the experience that you get by working on site at an event. It gives you a 360 degree view of what goes into putting together an event and what you should be anticipating in your planning process. If you have some base level experience, shoot a note to your local DMC to see if they have an application for their contract worker pool.
Experience is an absolute must if you want to succeed in the event industry. It gives you the tools that you need to be able to problem solve and see around corners, and if you have enough experience, you’re going to feel confident in your skills as an event planner.
Use these 5 Ways to Get Event Planning Experience to build a CV that will land you your next job or client.